Home of www.industrialartlab.com

Please take a look around.

Friday, January 23, 2009

Dreaming of change


You ever have a morning when you wake up, and for some reason things are different? You have the feeling that something is going to happen, but you don't know what? A feeling that something needs to Change? Well, one year ago, the day after Christmas, I had one of these mornings. I woke up and realized I was living someone Else's life.

I was working a job, that at some point turned from an interesting venture into a monotonous day to day, and I wasn't happy. My five year plan after college didn't quite go the way I had planned, nor was I really using my degree. I thought for awhile that I would work freelance in my free time and have a day job to pay the bills. Like a lot of creative people, I became wrapped up in the day job and lost track of the career.

I had a dream that night, the night before my strange morning and it made me want to change my life completely. My dream, which was more of a memory, was of me as a ten year old kid. I was in my parents basement taking apart some of the various electrical devices that my dad would accumulate. I believe it was an old telephone and a radio that I had scavenged for parts. The gizmo's, small motors and devices always intrigued me. Then I made something new. I don't know what it was, but it definitely had wires, batteries, spun and made noise... and I was happy. I woke up that morning knowing this; that what made me happy was making things.

No comments:

Post a Comment